In 2019 Fan Arena and Medialaan/De Persgroep continue their collaboration. First up: the Gouden Klassiekers (Golden Classics), a fantasy cycling game for the fans of the spring classics like Paris-Roubaix and De Ronde.
The Gouden Spelen (Golden Games) is a series of fantasy sports games by DPG Media. In 2018 Fan Arena made a brand new platform to host all the games, which were previously separate websites. This move improved the user experience. And a new unified backend admin resulted in a more convenient way of managing the games.
The Gouden Klassiekers is the first game in 2019. In the budget-based fantasy game fans have 275 million euros to pick 15 cyclists. The season consists of 16 gameweeks, a mix of the most popular World Tour and non World Tour cobbled and Ardennes classics.
Fan Arena improves the platform continuously and adds new features with each game release. This time we switched payment service provider: all games use the Mollie payment solution from this day on. We are also in the process of rewriting code to increase performance. One of those components was the stats page (also used in Gouden 11 and other games), which now loads a lot of data instantly.
Two novelties in the game concept for 2019: each race is a gameweek (which improves odds compared to the previous edition) and the domestiques will earn points when a teammate wins the race.
Gouden Klassiekers: the numbers
- 860 cyclists
- 37 World Tour and Pro Continental Teams
- 16 game weeks
- MVPs are Peter Sagan, Greg Van Avermaet, Julian Alaphilippe, Alejandro Valverde and Niki Terpstra
- Main prize of €5.000 (and various other prizes: pedelecs, smartballs, gins and jerseys)
The Gouden Spelen games for 2019
- Gouden Klassiekers: spring classics (cycling)
- Gouden Giro: Giro d’Italia (cycling)
- Gouden Tour: Tour de France (cycling)
- Gouden 11: Belgian Pro League (football)
- Gouden Vuelta: Vuelta a España (cycling)
- Gouden Cross: cyclocross season (cycling)